If you plead guilty to any traffic offence charge, that offence could result in demerit points and a record of the offence on your driving abstract. Your driver’s licence or driving privileges will be suspended at an accumulation of 15 points for a full CLASS 5 licence ( 8 points for a Graduated Drivers’ licence – GDL )
When suspended it could also result in additional 7 points (full class 5) and 3 points (GDL). Each and every accumulated point will stay on your driving record for a period of 2 years and 3 years for insurance companies.
Any demerit points you get could increase your insurance premium and significantly increase it when you are suspended.
These are some of the demerit points that may show on your driving record
- Exceed speed limit up to 15km/h
- Improper backing
- Fail to signal
- Improper turns – including U-turns
- Fail to obey traffic control device
- Unqualified supervision – GDL only
- Exceed speed limit 16 to 30Km/h
- Fail to report an accident
- Fail to stop at a stop sign/red light
- Exceed speed limit 31 to 50Km/h
- Following too close – Tailgating
- Unreasonable rate of speed
- Fail to stop for a Peace Officer
- Exceed speed limit by more than 50Km/h
- Careless driving
- Fail to remain at a scene of an accident
Before you plead guilty to any traffic ticket offence in:
Speeding, Careless Driving, Red Light, Hit and Run, Driving while Suspended, Driving without Insurance, Racing, Stunting or any other traffic related offence.
Talk to us first. WE CAN HELP